The Nike VRS Covert driver is the world's first high speed cavity back driver. The dramatic design removes the back-middle section of the sole, allowing NIKE to bring perimeter weighting to the tee box. This produces a slightly higher MOI to increase forgiveness and add even more distance to off-center shots. By having more mass in the heel and toe areas, the Covert driver should resist twisting more effectively on off-center hits and allow you to hit the ball straighter, more often. In addition, this club features an adjustable hosel that not only lets you to preset the Covert drivers to have a right, left or neutral face angle at address, but also to set the loft between 8.5° and 12.5°.
NIKE VRS COVERT DRIVER FEATURES:
- Lofts: Adjustable (8.5-12.5)
- Cavity Back Technology provides more stability at impact for longer and straighter shots
- Cavity back is hidden underneath by the crown to be more visually pleasing at address
- NexCOR Face Technology delivers faster ball speed and longer shots from a wider area of the face
- FlexLoft allows golfers to independently adjust the loft and face angle
- Better ball flight for more distance and enhanced workability
DISTANCE: Many testers say they get more than ample distance; a few guys describe it as a standout.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Quite forgiving across the face—dispersion on solid hits is very tight for most guys; distance loss on off-center hits is minimal.
FEEL: Several testers say it’s the best feeling Nike driver to date— solid, powerful, and stable, with a lower-pitched, more pleasing sound than previous models.
PLAYABILITY: Medium to high trajectory works well for most players and is described as “penetrating” by a few; moderate workability allows for subtle shot shaping; a few guys are blown away by what you can accomplish with the adjustability features.
LOOK: Deep red color instills confidence at address; some say the head is more compact than other 460cc models.
BOTTOM LINE: An impressive all-around performer that provides a solid combination of feel, accuracy and playability.
HOT STIX'S TAKE
Launch: Low to mid
Spin: Low to mid
Low-launch, low-spin head geared toward mid-handicappers.